Saturday, September 24, 2011

Effecting Change at School and District Levels

As a science leader, I am trying to create change in my school and my district so that others will see how important STEM education is for all of our students.  I have started this change at my school by becoming the outdoor lab coordinator.  I make sure that each grade level gets outside to use the lab at least once a year by having my 6th graders teach the other grades a lesson outside.  I have also convinced my grade to let me teach science all day making sure that my students get science every day.  We have also started a science club and summer science camp as well as adopted a hands on science curriculum.
The common barrier that I have to overcome is that fact that the big push is for language arts and math.  Even though science is test by the state in 6th grade it is not tested in all grades and it does not effect our schools grade.  This means that it does not have as much priority as language arts and math.  I am continually pushing for others to see science's importance in our school systems.

No comments:

Post a Comment