Friday, October 22, 2010

Air Plant Structured Inquiry Lesson

In the "Air Plant" the students observed an aquatic plant in an aquarium that was contained in a drinking glass with no air inside the glass.  We added baking soda and light to help aid the photosynthesis process.  I wanted my students to see photosynthesis in action and understand what was needed and produced in the process.  I also wanted them to understand the importance of plants in our lives.

The students came into my room excited, asking what the materials were at the back of the room.  I didn't want to tell them because I wanted them to stay excited and think of ways that we could use the materials.

I then asked the students to tell me what they knew about photosynthesis and how plants help us survive.  We talked about how plants use the carbon dioxide that we produce to make oxygen for us to breath in.  We also discussed how plants use their chlorophyll in the presence of light, with water and carbon dioxide to go through the photosynthesis process.  I asked the students to look at the materials that I had at the back and then discuss with their groups how they thought we could use those materials to help us better understand photosythesis.

We set up the experiment at the back the way that many of the groups determined would be best to see photosynthesis in action and then I asked each student to write their own hypothesis of what would happen once we put the baking soda in the water and turned on the light.  Many suggested that we would see bubbles of oxygen rise to the top of the glasses, a few students thought that the plants would change color as they produced glucose.
The students were then able to see the bubbles of oxygen rising from the plants and collecting at the top of the drinking glass.  After this they completed their lab report analysis and concluson as-well-as a carbon dioxide-oxygen cycle worksheet and placed pieces of the photosythesis process in the correct order to prove their understanding. 



After reviewing my students’ work I noticed that they were able to complete sentences regarding the carbon dioxide-oxygen cycle and the conclusions of the experiment.  They understood that the oxygen being released from the aquatic plants in the tank was produced due to photosynthesis.  Unfortunately most of the students had difficulty placing the stages of photosynthesis in a cyclical pattern.  When asked about the steps verbally they were able to answer the order but still had difficulty organizing them in a cycle.  Overall I feel that the lesson was successful and engaging but just needs a few revisions.


1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful lab Megan. When I get to teach middle school science again I would like to try it. How does the baking soda help aid in photosynthesis? Love the activities you had your students do as well.

    -Julie

    ReplyDelete